Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tiger Swallowtail butterflies


Tiger swallow tail butterflies make great running buddies. The black form to the left comes to greet me every time I run by the reservoir. Today was no exception. I took the time to stop and observe it - they are not ones to sit still for long- but it was fun to be able to identify them.


While in NYC, running in the trails I spotted the eastern tiger swallow tail to the right. I noted the blue in the wings and the similarity to the ones I routinely see in Houston, but could not mentally recall the differences.


I borrowed these from the web - the top ones represent their females very well! The males are mostly yellow with black details as the center-bottom shows.

http://www.butterflygardeningandconservation.com/butterfly/st/tiger.php


No comments: